Heather graduated from Sutherland-Chan School of Massage Therapy in 2017, where she received a comprehensive academic education, as well as technical training including Swedish massage, myofascial release, trigger point therapy, therapeutic exercise, assessment and joint mobilizations. She has worked in a number of clinics, treating patients with a variety of presentations – including sports injuries, musculoskeletal conditions, breast cancer, post-surgical scarring, lymphedema, pregnancy, stroke, anxiety and depression.
Inspired to make a career change from the editorial field to massage after watching a couple of close family members’ experiences with chronic pain, Heather has a keen interest in pain science, patient-centered treatment, and the nervous system’s response to treatment – working within a holistic, biopsychosocial framework.
Heather is a member in good standing of the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario and the Registered Massage Therapists Association of Ontario.
Certifications, Studies and Workshops:
- Advanced Sports Massage for the Runner – Sutherland-Chan Con Ed
- Evidence-Informed Chronic Pain Management for RMTs – Eric Purves
- Intro to Traditional Thai Massage – Bahn Thai School
- Magic of Movement: Fascial Movement: Improving Performance and Decreasing Pain with Healthy Movement
- Pendotion™ Instructor Certification: Reaching Maximum Mobility, Fluidity and Balance through Healthy Movement
- Thoracic Stretching and Mobilizations: Donvale Massage Therapy
Techniques and Presentations she’s worked with through her education:
- Sports Injuries
- Musculoskeletal Conditions including Plantar Fasciitis, Tendonitis, Post-Cast Removal
- Lymph Drainage
- Mental Health and Stress
- Breast Massage including in Cancer and Pregnancy
- Pre- and Post-Surgical Massage
- Post-Surgical Scar Work