Janice founded the Bellesmere Massage Therapy Clinic in 1995, after graduating from the Sutherland Chan School of Massage therapy. Since its opening, the clinic has grown to include a dynamic team of Registered Massage Therapists and a network of healthcare practitioners, including naturopathic and medical doctors, chiropractors, osteopaths, craniosacral therapists, structural integrators, acupuncturists, reflexologists, psychologists, personal trainers, yoga and pilates instructors.
From 1995 to 2011, Janice provided therapeutic massage for clients ranging from premature infants to seniors 90+ with a focus on the treatment of chronic pain and surgical rehabilitation. In 2009, Janice took a course that altered the path of her career. During the first day of classes, the instructor, Tom Myers, was able to resolve a hand tremor that Janice had been battling for over 10 years. Excited by the possibility of providing this specialized treatment for her clients, Janice enrolled in the Structural Integration course with the KMI (Kinesis Myofascial Integration) school in Oxford, England. She graduated and received board certification 2011.
In 2011, Janice began studies in visceral manipulation – the treatment of the guts and organs. Through this work, it was further reinforced how the source of pain and discomfort can be far from the location in which it is felt. Janice has found visceral work to be very effective in the treatment of colitis, constipation, bloating and abdominal discomfort. She has also experienced remarkable changes in hip, knee and foot pain through the treatment of old abdominal surgical scars, particularly caesarean sections.
Janice combines her massage therapy experience with her education in structural integration and visceral manipulation to provide treatments for her clients, focusing on resolving the cause of issues, not just the relief of the pain. She also uses her nutritional education to assist in the assessment of issues that may be impeding her clients’ full recovery. Janice is inspired through education and continues to take courses to help her better understand and treat a wide variety of client needs.
Areas of Specialty
- Shoulder injuries/frozen shoulder
- Postural realignment to resolve chronic pain
- Surgical rehabilitation
- Parkinson’s disease symptom management
- Digestive issues – IBS/colitis
Certifications, Studies and Workshops
- Dissection anatomy – Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College
- SWIS – Society of Weight Training Injury Specialist Symposium (4 Year attendance)
- Nutritional courses, seminars and lectures, at multiple institutions from 1995 to present
- Anatomy Trains, KMI Education USA
- KMI Structural Integration, KMI Education UK Oxford, England
- Coordinating the Peripheral Nerves, KMI Advanced Course Studies
- The Female Pelvis, KMI Advanced Course Studies
- The Thorax, KMI Advanced Course Studies
- Intro to Craniosacral Therapy, Upledger Institute
- Functional Neurology, completed Part 1 & 2, OTZ Health Education Systems
- Visceral Manipulation, completed Part 1 & 2, The Barral Institute
- Listening Techniques, completed Part 1, The Barral Institute
- Neural Manipulation, completed Part 1, The Barral Institute
- AIS Active Isolated Stretching for the Upper Body, The Benjamin Institute